Ok, just in case you left a comment on the previous post but haven't noticed my reply, I'd like to say...Thanks for all your suggestions, luckily I didn't have to do anything serious (like welding, cos I can't weld) but I soaked it over night with WD40 and then set fire to the darn thing this morning, and gave it another wallop for good measure. I forced a small flat bladed screwdriver bit into it and that got a grip so I was able to get more leverage on it. Bingo. Next problem...
Yep, so, got the split pin out of the spindle, then couldn't get the spindle out. There seems to be a lot of rustiness about Terry. I gave it a dose of WD40, tapped it gently in both directions, managed to get the tip of a small flat bladed screwdriver in the groove to try and gently lever it out, with some persuasion from a small hammer, but it wasn't shifting. On Cubbie I simply grasped the spindle with a pair of long nose pliers but this one was stuck firm. Out with the flame thrower again. I really quite like that particular toy - Mrs BC got it for my birthday a couple of years ago and I haven't really had cause to use it...until now...then I had one of my better ideas. Mole grips. Problem solved. With the jaws clamped on the end of the spindle I was able to twist and pull the spindle free.
Right, undo the 4 screws that hold the inner cover on, but there are only 3 and, you're there before me, the last one was stuck fast. Where does that expression come from, I wonder. I really couldn't be bothered with the gentle approach so it was out with the flame thrower again and it soon gave up the fight. Gently wiggle the cover up and off, being careful not to pull any bits of the gearbox out and hey presto, there's the distributor shaft, timing stuff and oil pump. Something odd struck me about the oil pump, I'm sure it shouldn't be like that. See if you can spot it in the pic.
Next job was to remove the big coggy thing and drop the tappets out (now I know why the things at the top in the rocker box that I call tappets, aren't really tappets), and then the timing pinion. But I don't have the correct puller for that one so we're back on hold for now. Still, at least progress is being made, if a little slowly.