Monday 19 May 2008

The Launch


Well that were braw, as they say. Woke up on Cubbie Launch day to RAIN. But it didn't last long and by the time I set off to meet fellow Grampian classic club members at Fyvie the sun was shining, although it wasn't particularly warm. Met up with Geoff & Julie, Barry and Bob and set off to the Feughside. Noticed a horrible rear end wiggle (oi!) and had to stop at Inverurie to check it out. Discovered most of the rear wheel spokes were a bit slack...oops...checked everything else the day before but not that! The consensus was that it was safe to ride so off again. Arrived early - yep, a first for me and Short Stan and Westie were the last to get there, some excuse about having to stop and view a friends new Ducati. Would just like to name check everyone I can and thank them for turning up to officially launch my crazy fund raising adventure;

Newbus, JT52, Borntobewild, Hagar and two young lads (sorry guys - names escape me!) from the Aberdeenbikers who are all modern motorcyclists but kindly came along to see Cubbie and pledge their support, Eden and his chum George (?) from Georgia, both on a modern Trumpets, Bryan on his beautiful Bonnie, Stan and Westie, a BM and Triumph between them, Malphy from bikeshite.com, Royal Enfield pilot Bob, Geoff & Julie on a modern bike today but also Triumph owners, Barry the BM man, Tom on another BMW, Sunbeam rider Allan, Captain Bill on his Armstrong, Briano on a huge Aprillia and not forgetting Mrs BC of course in the back up vehicle which I hasten to add, was not needed! I hope I haven't missed any names out but if I have just shout and I'll sort it out.

The two young nippers with Hagar couldn't believe their eyes when they saw the brakes and 'instruments' on a 1962 bike compared to their pocket rockets. i did offer them a go but they were too scared! Haha!

A nice meal was had by all at the Feughside, and afterwards the mouse in Cubby's engine was tracked down and terminated. Ok, so it wasn't a real mouse, and it wasn't the engine as it turned out but it sounded like one. Bob concluded, after tightening the head bolts (which I'd done on Saturday), that the distributor was a wee bitty on the dry side...a dollop of oil in there sorted that out.

We were going to pop in to the vintage tractor day at Dunecht on the way home but somehow we lost Bob - or should I say, he lost us, and we ended up having to stop for a cuppa, and he went straight home! Never mind. I didn't get an ice cream, didn't manage to get one at the Cairn O Mount on the previous weekend either, wonder if I'll put that right next weekend.

Things are now moving on the charity front, both the ME people and NABD are in communication and keen to help with forms and info, so if you see me in the next 6 months I'd run the other way cos I'm gonna be after you for money money money! All for two very good causes tho.

Things to do before setting off to Skye on Friday -
1. Clean inches of oil and gunk off rear wheel and take to Bob to fix - DONE.
2. Check main bearings by yanking crankshaft thing up and down and side to side - DONE no play there.
3. Oil change...(find supply of either 30, 40 or 50w oil locally)...
4. Fit new oil pipe to rockers...
5. Mend light switch...not likely to happen!
6. Check frame over in case wiggle was down to something more severe...
7. Fit luggage rack...
8. Work out how to fit tent, sleeping bag, supplies and spares on Cubbie if can't fit rack...
9. Collect wheel from Bob and re-fit...
10. Organise bank account for people to donate money to when sponsoring Cubbies Counties...nearly done, appointment tomorrow...
11. Email Castle Keep, swordmakers on Skye to see if I can visit while I'm there...DONE, awaiting reply.

No comments:

Followers

Country Counter

free counters