Saturday 7 February 2009

FOUR TONNES.



In case you're wondering what a snowed in GBC gets up to, here's a little snippet. After dishing hay out to five different fields of sheep, and traipsing all the way over to the far side of the sixth field to check the other lot of sheep who have the big round bale of hay, we set about moving a couple of the old girls to a better, more sheltered field and organising a hay rack for them. The three older old girls in the steading were fed and watered too, and a count of the remaining bales of hay was done. Only 6 left, and we're using at them at 2 - 2.5 per day... Came in for some food, then togged up again and went back out to start shovelling snow. Our driveway is about 200 meters long, all up hill. Dig dig dig, shovel shovel dig, for around two hours, back breaking work so it is, had an attempt to drive the van out but it bottomed out about half way up. Time for lunch, a nice pot of homemade leek and tattie soup and garlic bread, mmmmmm! Went back out about half two and already it was beginning to freeze. Carried on shovelling, with difficulty as the snow was starting to freeze in blocks to the ground. Gave it one last try and managed to get the van out on to the lane. Stupid numpty that I am, then had to carry all the boxes of work stuff from the van back down to the house, in a blizzard! Just got back from taking the van down the hill to the main road so that hopefully, tomorrow, we can go and get some supplies and hay in. Thanks to Mark and Tones from the Grumpy club for offering to come and help.

Looks like we have a top Judge for the Photo Comp...none other that Mr Phil Mather, a top photographer who's work you may have seen in some of the bike magazines. To make the most of this spell of wintry weather you've got until....I say your time is up....then I'll call the Judge and he can decide who gets the non-existent tee shirt. I must just stress that I am not partaking of the competition. My photos are there so that you can marvel at the Arctic wilderness in which I live.

Well, after two Tunnocks caramel bars and a strawberry milkshake I'm feeling slightly better, although I suspect the pain in my back won't be cured quite so easily.
PS, my mathematical genius friend just calculated that I shifted 81 cubic meters of snow. Or approx 4 tonnes of the stuff. Time for a kip.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Giving new meaning to 'doing the ton(ne)'...
have an Advil on me, nice job...



BigBobW

Anonymous said...

What's an Advil, Big Bob?

Anonymous said...

Its a brand name for ibuprofen Mrs BC

Its about time you got yourselves a wee tractor wi a plough

Anonymous said...

Advil is a brand name for ibuprofen, an anti inflammatory pain reliever...

or, you could take two aspirins and call me in the morning...lol


BigBobW

Anonymous said...

We did have a wee tractor with a plough and lots of other useful bits, until my husband blew it up. Nice eh!!! So now we're tractorless. Aaah!

GBC only takes things like that when she's on the point of expiration. She does take Arnica, but guess where that was last night? Yep, a mile away, down at the bottom of the hill, and strangely enough, neither of us felt much like going to get it!

Gorgeous Biker Chick said...

I think I needed a couple of Advil Bob, feels like I've done ten rounds with a mangle.

Anonymous said...

You could always swap Cubbie for an old grey Fergie? (tractor, not an ex-Royal!)

Anonymous said...

Excellent idea, Bantam Cub. If only I could find someone daft enough!

Anonymous said...

So Mrs BC what sort of tractor was/is it,got a soft spot for old tractors and strangely enough old british bikes.Is there a conection there lol

kawa

Tab said...

My Dad gave me the link to your blog after seeing it in classic bike guide. Well done on your ride around scotland raising money.
Is it ok if I put your link on an ME site (brainfog.org) that Im a memeber of as Im sure that they would love to see your travels.

Gorgeous Biker Chick said...

Hi Tab, thanks for getting in touch - feel free to add my link to the site you mention - I'll pop a return link up on here. PS, love the cat on your own blog page!

Followers

Country Counter

free counters