Thursday 7 March 2013

Gaffers Gallop update...


Errrr, well, there hasn't been much in the way of bike building progress yet, for either Muckle Flugga Man or Moi.  MFM is slightly ahead because he's got all the bits he needs to build his heavy duty forks up and I've only just found out that I don't seem to have any forks for my Terrier!  I thought I could 'borrow' a pair that were on another frame but they turned out to be a bit bent....



On the positive side, the brand spanking new MITAS TYRES have arrived, along with some paint from RS BIKE PAINTS and a complete TAP & DIE set for Tiger Cubs (and presumable Terriers!) from ACME STAINLESS so once I get around-toooo-it, I can start cleaning up Terry's threads and reading the instructions on using the various primers etc that RS have sent.  

TWO HUNDRED & TWELVE DAYS TO GO UNTIL THE GAFFERS GALLOP!!!!!

PS I've got lambing as an excuse - have you been on Facebook and seen the pics?  
Look for Gee-Bee Chick and send a friend request.  Go on, I need all the friends I can get.....











3 comments:

Hairy Larry said...

You might see if a local shop, or a friend with a suitable press and experience can straighten those fork legs. And if they can, check the triple trees out too. In my experience they can need messaging as well. They don't look too bad in the pics, but can't tell from here if there are creases or cracks.

Gorgeous Biker Chick said...

Really Larry? They are awful bent looking but no creases that I can see. Will ask around - mind you, thems Tigger Cub forkies and apparently theyre not quite the same as Terrier ones.

Hairy Larry said...

Yeah, check with your local guys and shops. Don't know what new or used replacements would run. I'm guessing they'd charge you an hours labor.Like I said, we used to straighten worse bananas than those. Not really a do-it-yourself if you haven't done it. You have to have a proper press set up that's strong enough to do the job and not cause further damages especially to the fork seal areas.It can be tricky as some steels are springy and would have to be pressed past straight so that would spring back the proper amount. Kinda like wheel lacing and truing, the more you do the better you get.

Followers

Country Counter

free counters