Friday 24 June 2011

Skorpy goes to Italy. Maybe....

Well that's the plan anyway. This was something Robin of Wales and I talked about after the success of our Spanish adventure a year or two ago. That was undertaken with both of us riding small capacity two stroke MZs and mucho fun it was too. For some reason, I have a desire to go to Italy. Nothing to do with Ducatis or anything... So this trip was mentioned in passing, and now, here we are, planning it. I'm hoping to go on my MZ Skorpion, and I suppose it would help if I re-fitted the swingy-army and new rear shock bearing and all the other bits that I took off about a year ago. Then I need to get a nice shiny new MoT on the bike and get some miles on it again so that I remember how to ride it, and also to monitor the oil consumption. I seem to recall that it had a habit of using a bit too much oil for my liking, requiring a top up after 100-150miles, which, when there's a stack of camping gear bungeed on the seat, is a little inconvenient to say the least. Then there's the cost. I think I need to start saving, and sooner, rather than later. From Cubbie Towers, going straight to Dover and then from Dunkerque to Bologna (Ducati factory...) and back again is roughly 3000miles. Then there'll be the detours and exploring mountain passes... Camping doesn't look too expensive, and I'll just have to go on a diet for a week, or live off a supply of army rations corned beef hash. Hmmm, the diet looks preferable. The ferry is surprisingly cheap at under £50 for a return. Better book that now before it goes up!

Anyone out there been motorcycling in Italy? Tales to tell? Tips to share?

7 comments:

Bodger said...

Skorpy to Italy????

What happened to Terry and Shetland this summer?????

Methinks you is starting one project before getting another finished.

Priorities my girl, priorities!!!!

Gorgeous Biker Chick said...

Yers...well...to be fair, Italy was planned before Shetland...and 'sides, might still make Shetland yet...although not for the Simmer Dim but to be fair (again), any trip to Shetland is magical so I' mquite happy to go there in, say, winter, maybe for the shortest day...hehehehe...

Hairy Larry said...

Urge to go to Italy? Could it be the "Euro Chocolate" doings in Perugia? Well, that's in October...must have a lead on some Cub parts then...

Anonymous said...

Robin of Wales - streuth, he's done well, of Sherwood, last I heard!

Sorry if you already know this, cheapest campsites are the Municipals, and they can be found here

http://www.camping-municipal.org/index.htm

Skorpys oil consumption did worry me as well, so leave you make up bag at home!

Have fun!

ng :)

Darrell said...

I never did ride a bike in Italy, but the car traffic was sufficiently frightening for me.
Though I expect such a ride would be great fun, and awesome scenery.

Anonymous said...

Tip- Stay clear of cities in the rush hour, especialy Roma!
I have driven there in a car and belive me you dont want to do it on a bike.
Just having another go at posting a comment.
Slick.

Gino's Travels 2 said...

I've ridden in Italy many times, like anywhere just keep your wits about you and enjoy, the Italian drivers are a bit macho but they mean you no harm. Stay off the Autostrada, the most expensive motorways ever!!

Followers

Country Counter

free counters